There are a lot of people that don’t believe in a face primer, but I’m not one of them. I actually can tell a difference when I use primers – especially in how oily my face gets throughout the day. Using a good primer really helps keep my skin under control and helps keep the makeup in place.
Here are some of the primers I’ve used (not all at the same time, some of these are empty, I don’t horde primers in my makeup drawer or anything) and the pros and cons of each one.
1. Neutrogena Shine Control – Great primer for oily skin! I have been using it for a couple months and can tell a noticable difference in my skin throughout the day. My makeup stays in place, and my face isn’t nearly as oily by the end of the day. The only downfall is that it has a slightly tacky finish. I find that if I try applying makeup with my fingers it sticks to the primer and pulls. Using a brush I have no issues though.
2. Benefit Stay Flawless – This primer claims to be a 15 hours primer. I honestly wasn’t wow’d by it. It feels like your’e applying a glue-like substance to your face, which is kind of weird. It does hold the makeup in place pretty well, but I don’t know that it was a major difference than any other primer as far as lasting power. I also didn’t find that it did much for my oily skin.
3. Tarte Clean Slate Poreless – Overall this is a solid primer. It’s a silicone type product (clear), and gives a smooth finish to the skin. It applies well, makeup goes on smooth, and it does help keep makeup in place. I probably wouldn’t buy it again because it didn’t offer much shine control, but if you have normal to dry skin it would probably be great.
4. Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser – I feel like this is a great dupe for the Tarte primer or even for the Arbonne primer if you’ve tried it before. It’s a clear silicone, and it blends into the skin well. It helps makeup stay in place, and overall I think it’s a good basic primer. Good price too!
5. Laura Mercier Protect Foundation Primer – This primer came in a sample kit, and I haven’t tried many of the Laura Mercier products so I was excited to try it. I do like that it has an SPF built in, so for days that I will be in the sun this will be a great product to keep around. It is a cream-like product, so it goes on similar to a lotion. I do think it does the job, but I don’t think it would be a top choice (and not sure I would purchase a full size).
6. Revlon Photoready Primer – This was my go-to before I purchased the Neutrogena primer. It’s more of a cream-like consistency, and I have found that is probably my favorite type of primer. It doesn’t work as well for oily skin as the Neutrogena, but it definitely helps. I also felt like it helped tone down any redness or uneven skin tone.
7. L’Oreal Magic Perfecting Base – If you need something thick, or want to really smooth the skin before applying foundation, this would be a good option. It is more like a mousse, which was a little strange when I first tried it, but it definitely helps smooth uneven texture. I wasn’t crazy about the mousse-like texture because it didn’t sink into the skin as much as other products. Probably not a re-purchase for me.