1. I started with the rocking chairs painted a dark grey. Originally, I was going to leave them this color, which is why the entire chairs were painted…but in hindsight I would only paint the areas intended to show through (or leave them natural wood).
2. Using my finger, I spread vaseline on the edges of the chair where I wanted the grey to show through. BE CAREFUL! The paint will not stick anywhere that the vaseline is applied.
3. Paint over the entire chair with the new color. Let the paint dry.
4. Take a cloth and wipe over the areas where vaseline was previously applied. It wipes right off!!!
5. Because it was a little more of a contrast than I was looking for, I took the cream color and did a quick spray/dry brush over the exposed areas to make it look even more distressed.